Thursday, June 5, 2008

1994 "Selected Biographies", International Sponsorship Programme for Young Artists, Cologne Art Fair


I asked 20 friends, from all walks of life, to write their biographies according to the format used by artists. I then displayed such information in the art fair stand that was offered to me as part of the Cologne Art Fair “International Sponshorship Programme”.

I intended to prove that any life history can be easily mythologized and made exceptional once it’s put on display according to the conventional modes used by museums, such as plexiglass sheets, wooden plinths, frames, screen projections, printed leaflets.

Despite the fact that no artworks were being shown or sold in my stand, visitors were led to believe that the information provided referred to established artists.

No comments: